GET ON THE AGENDA
Everyone is welcome to speak our our township meetings. However, South Dakota statute 1-25-1.1 states all township meetings must provide public notice, with proposed agenda, that is visible, readable, and accessible for at least an entire, continuous twenty-four hours immediately preceding any meeting, by posting a copy of the notice, visible to the public, at the principal office of the public body holding the meeting.
With that in mind, any resident/entity wishing to be placed on the agenda will need to submit a request 48 hours in advance either by emailing request to BrandonTownshipSD@gmail.com or mailing letter to Brandon Township 2215 East Redwood Brandon, SD 57005 to allow the township clerk to provide proper notice to the public.
Rules of Public Comment & Participation – Board Meetings
The Brandon Township Board recognizes the value of public comment on Township issues and the importance of allowing members of the public to express themselves on matters of community interest. But, for the benefit of all, and in the interest of all, the following rules of participation and public comment shall apply at all meetings:
- Provide a 48 hour notice to be placed on the agenda will need to submit a request 48 hours in advance either by emailing request to BrandonTownshipSD@gmail.com or mailing letter to Brandon Township 2215 E Redwood Blvd Brandon, SD 57005 to allow the township clerk to provide proper notice to the public.
- To grant the Township Supervisor and/or the presiding member of the Township Board the authority to deny any request that an item be placed on the agenda. Such denial shall be based on a determination by the Township Supervisor and/or presiding member of the Township Board that the request is frivolous, harassing or repetitive.
- To provide adequate time for the Board to obtain necessary information, conduct fact finding and give thorough consideration to situations in which an individual, during the requested presentation, addresses or questions a Township policy, procedure or decision that does not exist, a change to a Township policy, procedure or decision is proposed, or an exception to a Township policy, procedure or decision is specifically requested by the individual;
- To ensure that all interested parties have an opportunity to speak, please be brief and limit any comments to one topic. Brandon Township meetings are scheduled to end at 9:30pm unless otherwise stated.
- The Brandon Township board reserves the right to: (a) interrupt, warn, or terminate an individual’s presentation when the presentation exceeds three (3) minutes or is personally directed, abusive, obscene, or irrelevant; (b)request that any individual leave the meeting when that individual fails to observe reasonable decorum; (c) request the assistance of law enforcement officers in the removal of a disorderly individual when that individual’s conduct interferes with the orderly progress of the meeting; and (d) call for a recess or an adjournment to another time to provide adequate public notice.